To all my clients, past and present and to those thinking of bidding in 2018!
This year’s been a funny one; a lot of my time has been spent on a handful of long-term clients, as well as on the non-bid writing related projects, leaving less time to take on new clients. I’ve also had a lot going on in my non-work life – like getting married! – so all in all 2017’s been a bit of an outlier in terms of working routines, billing, time off, marketing and, really, just about every aspect.
I’ve learned a lot over this year and have some solid and some less solid plans for 2018, including:
- Winding up the non-bid projects in early 2018. It’s been interesting and challenging but ultimately it has meant splitting my time in a way that hasn’t been optimal for my main business.
- Posting more on this site. I’ve let the regular posts here slide over this year, again due to time restrictions. In 2018 I want to get that back on schedule and finally get my ‘how to’ videos finished and posted.
- Truly getting my head round what impact Brexit will have on bidding and UK industry. I’ve been keeping one eye on the ‘experts’ but until everyone’s decided what’s happening and how much it’s going to cost us, I don’t think anyone can say with any certainty what the effects will be.
- Watching the evolution of Innovate UK with interest. Having had a couple of reshuffles in the last few years, they apparently plan to merge with the Research Councils and Research England in April of next year. I don’t know what this means for the Innovate budget pots or the application processes, so will be keeping a close eye on it.
- More speaking engagements.
- More ‘expert for hire’ gigs, alongside the ‘sitting down at a laptop and writing’ gigs.
- A new avatar! I haven’t been blonde for well over a year now and I’ve also got new glasses. I don’t even recognise myself anymore!
I’m off work now until Monday 8th Jan – I’ll be checking email and enquiries over that time, but can’t commit to any projects with a deadline earlier than 19th Jan 2018. If you do have a deadline before then though, let me know and I’ll aim to put you in touch with other bid writers who may be able to help.
See you next year!